Tuesday, January 16, 2007

patchwork baby thing


My grandmother believes that all babies need something to hold. She has been known to give babies hankies and washcloths to play with. My baby is 3 1/2 months old, but cannot hold rattles yet, as they are too heavy and he bonks himself in his head.
I decided to make something that was lightweight, small, and visually stimulating. Thus, this small baby blankie was born. It was sewn from scraps of black and white polka dots and red fabric. Squares on one side; stripes on the other. It has cotton quilt batting in between the layers, which makes it a little bulkier than I intended, but still nice to hold onto. (And absorbent to catch drool and spit-up.) The finished size is approximately 12" x 12".

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Hi! I am new to your site...LOVE it!
I made something like this for my oldest son, and I sadnwiched a layer of crinkly cellophane in the middle and he loved it! Something about that noise he loved, and it had to go EVERYWHERE with us! I have made them for friends and for my second son, and they seem to be pretty popular!