Sunday, April 15, 2007

Easter Outfits

Each boy (including Joe) had a matching Easter tie. They are made with light blue fabric with small, random white polka dots.

Since Sawyer can't wear a tie, I appliqued one onto his onesie and made him a pair of matching pants.

Spenser had an A-line dress with cap sleeves (Simplicity 4557) and matching panties (Simplicity 5374). I had a matching skirt (Simplicity 5505) and we both had matching headbands.

totes x 5

Four totes for birthday gifts. I used yellow floral, Alexander Henry's Mocca print, a shoes and handbag print, and vintage Smurf fabric. Each is lined in white cotton.
And a tote for myself to double as my mini-diaper bag. I wanted to replace my Christmas tote, which I've been carrying since mid-December. (This one is Michael Miller's Dotty Dot fabric.)

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

two three-tiered skirts

From Simplicity 4252 two three-tiered skirts for Sewing Seeds. I imagine two sisters or little friends with coordinating skirts. Here is a link for a tiered skirt tutorial.

appliqued tees

A lion for Jack and an alien in a spaceship for Mason, both using my fat quarter.

tote and tissue pouch

For a friend's birthday, a tote and a tissue pouch. Sewn from Alexander Henry's "Apples + Pears."

In January I declared that this year was "the year of the tote." The birthday gift of the year is a tote, unless previously gifted.

two crowns

The pink crown was for Carter's classmate's birthday and the green is Mason's. And, I used my fat quarter.

small drawstring

A small all-white, eyelet drawstring bag for a friend.

a zebra wristlet

A small wristlet lined with fuschia fabric. This was donated for a youth auction at church.

appliqued onesies and pants

elephant set
inchworm set

snail set

Three spring outfits for Sawyer: appliqued onesies and matching pants. I made these pants by tracing an existing pair of his pants and adding seam allowances (see this tutorial).

grab-it bags

From the Better Homes & Gardens magazine Quilts & More: Grab-it Bags

The pink bag is Amy Butler fabric. I followed the pattern exactly for this bag. Well, the best I could, as I really had a hard time understanding the sewing of the handles.

This bag is from a thrifted sheet. I altered the pattern and am still not sure how much I like it.

Changes for bag #2:

1 - Made bag larger.
2 - Interfaced pockets, made larger and closer together.
3 - Sewed pockets lower on lining. (Things are popping out of the pocket and bag, i.e., my cell phone and lip gloss.)
4 - Sewed lining handles longer than exterior handles to see if they would sew together better. They sewed together easier, but still not pretty.
5 - Used fusible fleece instead of cotton batting (thick seams), but the bag is too stiff.

It seems the weight of the contents of the bag has put stress on the handles and they look stretched and wrinkly (pink bag). It's also a difficult bag for a mom to carry around with kids in tow. So it's cute, just not very practical.