Friday, July 28, 2006

tote and tissue pouch

same tote pattern. same tissue pouch. same fabric as these.

drawstring bags

2 little drawstring bags for 2 little boys.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

purse organizer

A purse organizer using the basics from this tutorial and a matching tissue pouch. Sewn from fabric, sandwiched with a layer of heavy interfacing for sturdiness. The overall finished dimensions of the organizer are approximately: 25" long, 4" back piece, and 3" front piece (which was actually just one piece folded over). I chose not to use a coordinating fabric. This was a gift.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

tissue pouches

I needed two quick, last-minute gifts. Tissue pouches to the rescue!

skirt #3

Sewn from Simplicity pattern 5505 (view B, I think) with elastic waist. I made this skirt large enough to (hopefully) wear home from the hospital after I have the baby. Made from thrifted sheet.

skirt #2

Sewn from Simplicity pattern 5505. Used thrifted sheet and fuschia bias tape. Same sheet and bias tape as this bag. (I promise not to use them together.)

another apron

No pattern. The front pocket opens from the sides (in "muff" fashion) to hold things like clothespins, miscellaneous toys, etc., and is sewn up from the bottom about 2 inches so nothing falls out! (Interfaced the pocket for a little sturdiness.)

a skirt

for after the baby is born. Simplicity pattern 5505. Simple A-line skirt with elastic waist. Sewn from thrifted sheet (from which I've also made some tote bags). The pattern claims it is a "2-hour skirt," but it took much less time than that. Only about 40 minutes (so I've sewn two more).

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

pj bottoms, part deux

Another pair sewn from the same pattern. Sewn from clearance fabric ($1.20 a yard, which took just over 2 yards for capri length). The fabric is pink with black, pink and white stripes that are sewn on, not printed. Used a pink and black polka dot ribbon for drawstring, which was easier than last time.
I am planning to make more, and will use Craft Apple's drawstring suggestion next time.

Monday, July 17, 2006

more tissue pouches

I needed to make a few gifts, so I sewed more tissue pouches. I really can't stop myself. Someone needs to intervene. (I think I now have four for myself!)

Friday, July 14, 2006


Sewn from the Amy Butler pattern "In Town Bags." The exterior is a floral duckcloth, which was interfaced (even though the pattern doesn't call for it). Used a vintage button for closure, and instead of a ribbon loop, I sewed a fabric loop.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

pj bottoms

From McCalls pattern #4979. Sewn in "capri-length." Sewn from new "vintage" fabric from the vintage collection at Jo-Ann (which was on clearance for $1.20 a yard). Very simple, except for the narrow drawstring. It was a pain to turn. Will try again with a different drawstring (ribbon ?).

Monday, July 10, 2006

a tote and a tissue holder

A butterfly tote sewn from home dec fabric (which was interfaced) and lined with white muslin. The handle is white cotton webbing.
Another pocket-sized tissue holder. Sewn from a watermelon fat quarter (perfect size for wristlets, too!) and interfaced. Lined with solid black.
These are birthday gifts for a friend.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

a few projects

Fabric balls, tissue pouch, and another headband (for a gift).
Oops! Sorry. Here is a link for the fabric ball. I actually copied and pasted the "pattern" into Word and then enlarged it by clicking on the box and dragging it. It is stuffed with polyfill and there is a small beanbag of lentils in the very center. (The idea for the beanbag came from here. I can't take the credit.)

green wee bunnies

for two wee boys (Jack and Mason). Again from this free pattern. Vintage button eyes and a store-bought pom-pom tail (left over from Taylor's very first Halloween costume).

a wristlet

minus the wrist strap... so it's really just a zippered pouch from this tutorial. First attempt with zipper in nearly 10 years, but I sewed zipper on right to left. Oops!